ÚÑÈí  25 Mar 2017


  • Digital Government
  • Green ICT
  • Green ICT
  • Green ICT

    1. ICT for Education
    1. ICT for Health
    1. ICT for Government
    1. e-Content
    1. Legislative Services
    1. Green ICT
     

    Green ICT


    Last Updated: 10 Apr 2016
    The Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT) adopts Green Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Strategy which aims at reducing the adverse environmental impacts resulting from the expansion of using ICT devices.

    Green ICT is what manufacturers, specialists, analysts and providers call all ICT solutions that save energy. These include hardware, software and services. ICT is playing an important ubiquitous role, whether in business or in individuals’ private lives. It is also consuming ever greater amounts of energy and is, therefore, the source of significant CO2 emissions.

    However, while ICTs account for 2% of the CO2 emissions, in can contribute significantly in mitigating the effects of the remaining 98% emitted by the other sectors. This trend also seeks to protect the environment from the harmful output of technologies through using the right and safe scientific methods of disposing electronic wastes.

    A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), under the theme of “Green ICT”, was signed to raise community awareness about green ICT challenges and opportunities, and was amended in November 2013, setting fundamentals and national policies for Green ICT, adopting a multi-stakeholder approach to address various green ICT challenges, reducing the adverse environmental effects resulting from the expansion in the use of ICT, supporting the use of communication and information technology as an effective tool to reduce GHG emissions resulting from other sectors. The framework of this protocol is based on three main programs: awareness raising about Green ICT, electronic wastes management, Green ICT procurement, and ICT solutions: a more sustainable future.

    MCIT has worked in close cooperation with the World Bank and the Ministry of Environment to assist in leveraging the e-waste recycling in Egypt, and has finalized the guidelines on “Preparatory Information for the Implementation of an Electronic Waste Pilot Project in Egypt” in 2014. The guidelines provide the preparatory information for the implementation of an e-waste pilot project, to be implemented during a later phase.

    It is composed of three associated chapters, the first of which is the economic incentives that stimulate the private sector to start an e-waste recycling unit. The second chapter is the collection strategy one which defines how sufficient e-waste could be collected for a pilot unit to be viable. The report concludes with some guidelines for NGO and private sector participation, describing the role NGOs and civil society can play in this context. This mainly concerns awareness creation activities and support to informal collectors.
     



    Related Publications
    Guidelines for Green IT in Daily Life
    Feb 2010
    The brochure defines "What is Green IT" and offers ways to greening our IT products, applications, services and practices, by designing, manufacturing, using and disposing of IT devices with minimal or no impact on the environment, and using IT as a catalyst or facilitator to decrease the impact of other sectors on the environment.



    Affiliate Organizations Related Institutions
    NTRA ITIDA EGYPT POST ITI NTI CULTNAT TIEC SMART VILLAGE SILICON WAHA TDF
    Contact Us  |  Feedback  | Site Map  |  DisclaimerPrivacy Statement  |  MCIT RSS Copyright Ministry of Communications and Information Technology 1999-2017. All rights reserved